Jewish Quarter (Josefov)
Known as Josefov, or Jewish ghetto, the Jewish Quarter has gained a worldwide reputation and is one of the most frequently visited attractions in Prague. Guests of the Radisson Blu Alcron Hotel can enjoy a lovely walk to the Jewish Quarter through Wenceslas Square, Old Town Square and Paris Street, the most luxurious street in Prague with shops offering world-famous brands. The entire walk will take no more than 30 minutes.
The history of the Jewish Quarter dates back to the 13th century, when a royal decree ordered all Jewish people to move from different parts of Prague to a single location. Thanks to protection granted by Czech kings, the Jewish Quarter gradually became the biggest Jewish community in Europe as well as an economic and cultural centre of outstanding importance. The prosperity of this community was demonstrated by the construction of the Old-New Synagogue at the end of the 13th century; today, this monument is the oldest surviving synagogue in Europe.
The Jewish Quarter experienced its golden era during the reign of Rudolph II. During this time, the Maisel, High and Pinkas synagogues were built, and the legend about Golem and its creator Rabi Löw originated. Unfortunately, the Jewish Quarter suffered severe damage during the “Prague redevelopment” of 1893 - 1913. Many medieval houses and synagogues disappeared from the Jewish Quarter during that period.
Nevertheless, the most valuable monuments, including six synagogues and the Old Jewish cemetery, have survived to form the best-preserved complex of Jewish monuments in all of Europe.